Sunday, January 25, 2009

Hard or Easy?

As I awoke this morning, the sun shone on a sign on our bedroom wall that shows a picture of Christ and says, "I never said it would be easy, I just said it would be worth it." Most mornings it is dark when I get up and I don't see the sign. I have always felt there was something wrong with this sign. In the first place, it sounds like Christ is just standing back watching us suffer, and reminding us that someday all these tears and sweat will be worth it. But Christ never said the words on the sign. I prefer to stick with the scriptures. He said, "Come unto me, all ye who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest; for my yoke is easy and my burden is light. "
There is no question that life is hard, messy and often just plain unfair. But Christ doesn't just tell us to hang in there and someday it will all be worth it. Yes, if we believe that Christ is preparing for the faithful mansions in Heaven, we can look forward to that, but it seems small comfort RIGHT NOW when we are struggling through all the mud, like pioneers with handcarts who had to remind themselves that there would someday be a valley, a prophet and a temple to greet them in Zion. But how did they really get through those hard times? Their journals speak of angels helping to push the carts, and of the Spirit of the Lord bouying them up, or comforting them as they buried loved ones on the trail.
I know Christ's yoke is easy. I have felt his arms around me warming me, his light guiding me along what has seemed a very dark road at times. I know that life is so much easier if we allow Christ in. He says "I stand at the door and knock..." He doesn't leave us pounding on the door to Heaven; He stands there knocking and we just need to open it and he will come in to us. He does not stand back and just watch us struggle, only giving us payment for our faithfulness in the end; He stands with us and helps us as much as we will let him. All the way along the trail. So don't think you have to do this alone. Christ is there for you, angels will lift you up, and yes, I am here, too. I love you guys. Mom

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting that you point out that mom. Chris has mentioned before that he never liked that saying, although it has never bothered me. I see your point. You should be teaching in Gospel Doctrine if you aren't already. Thanks for sharing, I love hearing from you about spiritual things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words of wisdom Aunt Celeste. We are fasting as a family today for little Abigale and your words echoed my thoughts.
    Thank you
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Aunt Celeste. As I sit with my little one, Abigail Celeste, named for her Auntie Amy and you, I know exactly what you're saying. Thank you for the reminder.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great point Mom. Thanks and I can't wait to see ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, as usual, My Sister (and my second best friend)!

    Love,

    Corrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the words of wisdom Aunt Celeste!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the nice comment, it is hard sometimes to be so far away from family and friends but i'm glad we have each other. We are so excited for my parents to come over it will be alot of fun. We miss you and really hope you can make it out here Andrew would love it he always says he wishes his mom could come over. How's Wally doin??
    Anyways we love and miss you! It's nice you started a blog now you will have to post some pictures.
    Have a good day:)

    ReplyDelete